Christ the King Catholic High School & Sixth Form Centre (CTK) uses instructional technology as one way of enhancing our mission to teach the skills, knowledge and behaviors students will need as responsible citizens in the global community. Students learn collaboration, communication, creativity and critical thinking in a variety of ways throughout the school day. In an effort to increase access to those 21st Century skills, CTK will allow personal devices on our guest network and school grounds for students who follow the responsibilities stated in the Student Acceptable Use Policy and the attached guidelines regarding B.Y.O.D.
CTK strives to provide appropriate and adequate technology to support instructional purposes. The use of personal devices by students is optional, and students who do not participate in B.Y.O.D. will not be penalized and alternate modes of participation will be available.
- Students and parents/guardians participating in B.Y.O.D. must adhere to the Student Acceptable Use Policy and all Online Safety Policies.
- Each teacher has the discretion to allow and regulate the use of personal devices in the classroom and on specific projects.
- Approved devices must be in silent mode while on school campus, unless otherwise allowed by a teacher. Headphones may be used with teacher permission.
- Devices may not be used to cheat on assignments, quizzes, or tests or for non-instructional purposes (such as making personal phone calls and text messaging).
- Students may not use devices to record, transmit, or post photographic images or video of a person or persons on campus during school hours or during school activities unless otherwise allowed by a teacher.
- Devices may only be used to access computer files on internet sites which are relevant to the classroom curriculum.
- The school’s network filters will be applied to a device’s connection to the internet and any attempt to bypass the network filters is prohibited.
- CTK is authorized to collect and examine any device that is suspected of causing technology problems or was the source of an attack or virus infection.
- Bringing a device on premises that infects the network with a virus, Trojan, or program designed to damage, alter, destroy, or provide access to unauthorized data or information.
- Processing or accessing information on school property related to “hacking.” Altering or bypassing network security policies.
- Students and parents should be aware that devices are subject to search by school administrators if the device is suspected of a violation of the student acceptable use policy. If the device is locked or password protected the student will be required to unlock the device at the request of a school administrator.
- Personal devices must be charged prior to school and run on battery while at school. Charging of devices will not be permitted at CTK.
Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Devices:
Users should strive to maintain appropriate bandwidth for school-related work and communications. All users will use the “CTKHS” wireless network to access the internet. CTK does not guarantee connectivity or the quality of the connection with personal devices. CTK ICT department is not responsible for maintaining or troubleshooting student tech devices.